Guild Wars 2 low fps slow performance on nVidia GTX 260

Published by:

When I first tried Guild Wars 2 on my AMD X4 PC equipped with a nVidia Geforce GTX 260, I was in for a shock. The game was unresponsive and slow, and no matter what settings or resolution I applied, the game didn’t give me more then 20 fps. In cities I only got 7 fps, with everything disabled or set to low.

I have been reading about this for a week now, and nothing came up. Until I saw something strange in GPU-Z. In the “interface” field it said PCI-E 2.0 x 16 @x4 1.1.
@x4 means it was running on 4 channels of the PCIe bus, while it should be using all 16…

Then I realized that I had plugged the videocard into the wrong PCI-E slot. My motherboard has two PCI-E slots as I came to learn, one x4 and one x16. Normally it is written beside the slot.

After I moved the GTX 260 from the x4 slot to the x16 slot , GPU-Z showed PCI-E 2.0 x 16 @x16 2.0 .

Guild Wars is now running at high settings at about 50 FPS and it’s running smooth as a cat.

So if you are having trouble getting a good performance in Guild Wars 2, check if your video-card is correctly installed.

DDNS DynDNS setup IP number

Published by:

There are countless reports of people who are having trouble configuring their network equipment to work with Dyndns, mostly because they need to enter an IP ADDRESS on their devices, rather than the usual dns name : members.dyndns.org
The forum keeps running around the bush about it. So I will give you a straight and short answer here:

The DynDNS IP number is 204.13.248.111

🙂

long answer:

According to DynDNS the syntax for an HTTP request uses members.dyndns.org. Just open a DOS command prompt and type

The result will reveal the IP address.

Note that it is quite possible that the result will be different from the address stated on top of this post. Especially if they use load balancing on their servers. You can use the one found by me or yours, it should work in both cases.

Another note: This is crucial to configure the I Power IP9258 with DDNS

How to install nano on OpenPLI 4 ( Vu+ solo2 )

Published by:

While using console to change files on you satellite receiver, most people will use vi to edit. But vi can be complicated.
I like the more user friendly tool nano. Sadly it doesn’t come with OpenPli.

Here is how to install it manually.

First, open a console (telnet) and logon as root on your sat receiver.

Then execute these commands:

Now, nano needs libncurses. Without it , it will give an error:

nano: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This can be solved by installing the lib.

now nano will work.

Winamp DSP plugin error loading plugin and odd strange characters

Published by:

Before starting to make my own Winamp plugins, I tried compiling an existing plugin DLL from source-code in my current setup, thus testing if my setup was working. I used the Beginner Basic Plugin Guide as a starting point for my solution in Visual Studio 2012. That seemed to work.

I then compiled the resteless_dsp plugin, for which I found the source here: http://www.hartwork.org/doku.php?id=restless_winamp_plugin. This became problematic.

First the plugin compiled without error:

When I ran the plugin locally, it worked fine. But when I tried to run it on another system (a clean windows 7 virtual machine) I got strange results. The plugin would load (show-up in the list of plugins), but the title was replaced by random non ASCII characters. The file name looked ok though. Like this:

18-07-2013 11-50-58

And when I tried to run the configuration it told me ” Error loading module “.

18-07-2013 11-52-00

The problem boiled down to a wrong configuration (again) of Visual Studio. I was using Common Language support… Resolving this would imply installing extra software a the target PC and I didn’t want that. So I decided to go without CLR.

I changed the config like this:
1) Project->Properties->General->Common Language Runtime Support-> “No Common Language support”
2) Project->Properties->C/C++->Code Generation->Runtime Library-> “Multi-threaded (/MT)”

18-07-2013 12-25-01
18-07-2013 12-27-34

Now when I build I got a lot of errors:

I eliminated those by commenting out everything in the AssemblyInfo.cpp that raised an error. (leave #include “stdafx.h” un-commented)

That eventually did the trick. The code compiles ok and it works fine on other windows systems.

I hope this will help someone out there.

Note that when you merely overwrite the dll with a newer version, the ” Error loading module ” error won’t go away. Use the “uninstall plug-in” button (right of the configure button) first to remove old versions of the plugin before adding the new version. Failing to do so will complicate debugging.

Bad Behavior has blocked 1055 access attempts in the last 7 days.