Category Archives: Troubleshoot

Windows 7 : Thumbnails folder.jpg not showing (on networked shared drive)

Published by:

I had this annoying problem where only some of the folders in windows (7) would show the thumbnail, which was present as a “folder.jpg” file inside it. Most of the folders would just show the default folder-icon. Nothing I did would change this, except when I would navigate into the folder and back, the thumbnail would suddenly appear. This would typically happen on mapped network drives or network shares.

I could narrow the problem down to the way windows uses cashing of thumbnails. As of windows vista, thumbnails are stored in cashing files that are stored in the users application data folder: C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer . These files are protected however, and can’t be deleted. Cleaning the thumbnails can be done by the “disc cleanup” tool, located in Accesoires -> System Tools. Whenever I cleaned like that, all thumbnails would disappear and leave a blank spot. Not even the default folder icon would return. I could, however, remedy this by killing and restarting explorer in the task manager. (or simply by rebooting). But the missing thumbnails would still be missing!!

Solution: My solution my be harsh, but effective: Disable the cash completely.
To go around disabling the cache, you need to use the “Local Group Policy Editor”. Run it by pressing the windows key + R and then typing “gpedit.msc” after the Open: field. Navigate to “User Configuration” -> “Administrative Templates” -> “Windows Components” -> “Windows Explorer”

Find “Turn off caching of thumbnail pictured” and double click it. Choose “Enabled” from the three radio buttons and confirm with OK.

Now restart explorer (by killing it in task manager. Restarting explorer using the “New Task…” button in Applications where you type “Explorer”). OR simply reboot windows.

Now all thumbnails will be loaded every time you open the folder. This may be a bit slow, but at least you’ll have the thumbnails.

Move file in use , who is blocking it or using it , force move delete

Published by:

We’ve all experienced it sometime: A file or folder is in use, and windows refuses to move or delete it. Even though it should, Windows rarely shows us what or who is blocking the file. Left in the dark, you’ll end up closing all sorts of apps, killing explorer, and what not. Then there are those cheesy apps, like “who’s blocking”, that do all but free the file. So.. there we are.

A few days ago, I stumbled upon a small command line app from Mark Russinovich. Now, that sounds like a guy who knows how to kill a blocking app. 😉 (just kiddin’). In fact, his app called “handle” is featured at Windows Sysinternals. Here is what it did for me.

I had this demo of Mixmeister and I wanted to “move” the downloaded install-file-folder to my backup drive. But somehow it was blocked. Windows, endlessly informative, told me nothing that I could use:

inuse1

So I fired up HANDLE. I asked it to tell me who’s blocking Mixmeister.

Handle mixmeister

I then got a list of “handles”, two of them were explorer and one of them was my browser chrome. To chase these apps away from my folder (file), I needed the PID of the app and the handle on the file. Handle provides both. In my case, explorer had pid 3796 and the handle on my folder had 1978. I could now get it off by entering:

Handle -c 1978 -p 3796

inuse2

I did the same for the other two handles, and see there: The folder was free and I could move it quite happily.

Just remember: Killing handles “can” crash your machine. When attempting this, always make sure any unsaved data is saved!

You can download HANDLE from here.

The comments plugin requires an application id to properly namespace the provided xid

Published by:

I recently got stuck while integrating a comments section into a webpage. The social plugin always threw a “The comments plugin requires an application id to properly namespace the provided xid.” at me.
xiderror

There’s was no solution in Google, so I will post my solution here.

In my case I had called the script two times. Once in the header:

xiderror1

And then later in the sidebar (for a simple fan-box)

xiderror3

I don’t know what exactly caused the conflict. I believe the second call somehow erased my ap-id… Anyway, by removing …script src=”http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1… (red box) from the sidebar, both plugins worked fine.

Bad Behavior has blocked 13822 access attempts in the last 7 days.